Saturday, February 16, 2008

And All The People Said,....

So, you really do read this blog of mine! You asked how it went so I'll tell ya...... Here is the update from my experience at the Harvest Center.
I was super excited and just threw on my jeans and a long sleeve black T-shirt and off I went with clothes, shoes, and games in hand.
Once I arrived at the Harvest House, my heart was pounding at the thoughts of would I be safe, do I smile at these men surrounding my car, should I be so bold to sound the "lock" beeping noise on my car... OK, voices shut up and just do it Denise, God said he'd be with this whitie get in there.
When I walked into the HC, Sister Rosa saw me immediately, as I sortof stood out. She yelled to me, "CULINARY, YOU DID COME". When I met her I told her I loved to cook and would come work, obviously, a lot of people must say that because she was suprised at my comings.
She toured me around the center, all the while touching people, ordering them to do this and that, and finally showed me the kitchen. Today, they were having a REVIVAL, and I was to prepare a fish fry like none other. NOW wait a min. Sista, I am a Health Educator, I don't fry fish much less any other food, unless I am pregnant. The lady next to me reminded me, that this is their world not mine.. fry baby fry! I was so glad I wore a long sleeve T-shirt! The apron I wore was almost in shreds by the time I left, next time I'm bringing my own. I asked Sister Rosa how I would know when the fish was ready to come out of the oil, and her response still makes me laugh, even as I write it to you. "The Lord will tell you when it's ready, He'll tell ya, He always provides". Around 400 pieces of fish later and lots of broken gringa style Spanish conversations with my co-chef Fredrico, I thanked the Lord for giving me this amazing opportunity and I cannot wait to go back this Tues!
As I prepared and then served the fish, I kept looking in the eyes of these men, women, teens, and little children and I kept hearing the Lord's words... "The last will be first in my kingdom". I even told this one woman, Martha, as she looked at me with tears in her eyes and asked me to pray with her, while she cried, "I have really screwed up haven't I". I just said, "The Lord, loves you Martha, and He knows your name". I hope to see her next week, as she was my age and it really struck me. In my quiet moments, I have prayed with words I don't completly understand, as I don't know exactly what to pray for Martha; Oh, that she'll get off drugs, get a life, listen to truth, etc... OR, maybe, that she will believe God not just believe in God.
So, there you have my 4 hr. experience in the lives of the homeless, I hope to tell many stories abount my new friends.
Have an awesome week, and remember to love freely and honestly, as God loved us first!
Blessings, D

1 comment:

MelissaTaylor.org said...

Oh Snap! "This is their world not yours" That is my new line for you! Ok, first I have to deal with this with humor. I am cracking up just imagining you FRYING FISH!!! Whoa Baby! I laughed so hard I had tears. Now you can get a job at Lizard's Thicket!!!! We really were meant to be great friends....you can fry meat now:)

Now for the serious. This is so 100% totally awesome! Your enthusiasm reminds me of how I feel working at the Proverbs office. It is amazing. That is where you need to be. What a wonderful use of your time on Tuesdays. Keep your guard up though. Satan won't like this much. I'm going to be praying for you and for the people that you are touching over there.

Love ya sista! And I'm proud of you for frying fish in the name of Jesus!
Love,
Melissa