Wednesday, March 25, 2009

We are truly meant for the valley. My family just spent our Spring Break in the most beautiful, quiet mountain retreat; Leatherwood Mountains. These mountains are formed between a long and beautiful meadow; where streams run and deer graze. It is quite a special place!
The valley here, is quite beautiful, enjoyable and peaceful. It is where my kids play football, jump in the streams, catch minnows and crayfish together. Kenny and I ride our horses here, picnic and sit together soaking up the sun....I love the valley! I love being quiet and reflective, it is a side of me, my family and I rarely get to experience. I love watching and listening to the sounds of God's symphony around me while in the valley. Yup, I love the valley and I was meant for it.
But, there is nothing like the mountain top experience. Our house sits at the top of the mountain and it has quite the views. As the wind whips through the trees and the hawks fly we can hear new sounds, see new sights and experience new emotions. I tell you this, I was meant for the mountain top!
Isn't this life, we move from mountain tops to valley experiences. The valley offers experiences that the mountain top cannot. We travel through the valley and get to see and feel things that the peaks cannot offer us. We can run in the valley yet while at the top we actually have to hike a bit more cautiously, as the fall could be fatal.(Pride before the fall) This is a new perspective I am sure but it holds a bit of truth when compared to our lives. While in the valleys of life, know this, we call on God with a deeper more heart felt need and respect. We listen more, yet are relational. We can be very still yet we keep moving. We actually spend a lot of time there, and it becomes familiar yet remains mysterious. We can sit and listen, often humbled and learn while traveling in the meadow. The good news is, we travel, we move, we learn while we are there.
When at the top, we usually experience great emotional highs that often exempt God or at the very least, just invite Him to join us in our elation and new experience. Don't get me wrong, I love the top of the mountain. I love what it brings my soul. I actually find myself brought to tears at it's beauty and power. We have to keep perspective however when we are at the top... egos in check and pride aside! God is quite amazing, as He designed it all and dwells in it all, we just have to be reminded more when we are at the top!
God's word reminds us, He will never leave us or forsake us, for He is with us wherever we go. I think He'd want me to remind you of that truth... I know He reminds me of it quite often. So, whether you are traveling in the meadows of life or standing at the top of a mountain, know this, He is there and remains very close!
As I write this, I ask you to pray for those in the meadows of life. I specifically ask for you to pray for Melissa Taylor and her family. Becky Nunn, her mother, and dear friend of mine, has stage 4 cancer and new cancer growths elsewhere. She is in the valley and experiencing new sights and sounds; new emotions and fears and is traveling through it very slowly and painfully. This story is one of many I know life will offer us, but one we will all grow from and learn to trust more, because of. God's plan is beyond what we can see or hear or understand but truth remains and is never far away. Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life. Truth has a name that we can all call on while we travel this life of mountains and valleys.
Blessings to you all ... soar, walk, run, listen, remain aware and draw near to God.
Denise

3 comments:

MelissaTaylor.org said...

Denise,

Beautiful absolutely beautiful. I've gotten pretty good at this valley stuff. At least I can see the mountain ahead.

Love you to pieces!
Melissa

Renee Swope said...

Beautiful and powerful post!!!

Denise you are an amazing friend who stands in the valley with those you love. What you did for Mel's mom this weekend was such a picture of friendship and love in action. I am praying with you for our sweet Melissa...who, even though she walk in the shadows of the mountains, is seeking to find our Shepherd's rod to guide her and His staff to lead her to a place of peace and rest. I am praying for hope and healing and miracles to move many many mountains!

Love you girl!

Unknown said...

Hey girl! I luv reading your writings from your deep side. My love and prayers go out to Melissa, her mom, and family. Hope you're doing well. Think about you every time I go to spin class (usually either on a Tues or TH at 8:30).
Didn't get to ask you how your mom was. Is she doing better?